Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

One Year Ago..

We walked into a room with ten other families and our lives were changed forever. I remember waiting for Jia Na to be called out and then we stepped forward and the orphanage director handed us a precious gift..our daughter. I held her and at that moment I thanked God for every moment in my life that had led to this. I had dreamed of being a mommy and it was finally a reality. There really are no words to adequately describe holding your child for the first time while ten other families are doing the same thing. It was a crazy, loud, chaotic and wonderful delivery room experience. Our lives are forever tied to the other families we shared this with.

You could ask me years from now about the room and I think I could describe every inch of it. I could recall the rain outside and the nervous excitement in the air. I would be able to see the words "Thank you for all of your love pouring on the children" written in English and Mandarin on the wall behind us. I would remember she was holding tightly to a green veggie stick and wearing Spider Man shoes. I would still see the sweet smile she flashed at Mr. Chen (the orphanage director) right before he handed her to me and then the look of confusion as she turned to us. I would still be able to feel the weight of her in my arms for the first time and the ultimate unconditional love we felt for her at that moment.


First Family Photo




We sent a care package to her foster family with this photo of us in it. We could tell she had been shown this picture because she kept staring at it then looking at us as if trying to figure out if we were the Mama and Baba she had been told about.


This was moments after she was handed to us. I held her for a couple of minutes but she wouldn't stop crying. Dada worked the magic (for the first few days)

We couldn't believe how content she seemed once we got to the room. I am still amazed at how brave these babies are and how resilient to change.



She loved looking at herself in the mirror and she still does. Hey, why shouldn't she...she is so beautiful after all.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

That was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing those special pictures. Gotcha day stories always make me teary eyed. What a blessed event!

Connor Register said...

Wow! I can remember every inch of that room too, Laura! The smells, the overcast drizzle, the look of fear and confusion, and Director Chen's smile as he surveyed the room after the last little one was placed in her new family's arms. What an amazing first year this has been for all our Hubei daughters!

Love ya and wish I could hug y'all today in person!
Linda

Kelly said...

That was so sweet. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to experience those feelings.

Susan said...

Congratulations on your first family anniversary! Thank you for the amazing description of those precious first moments -- it gave me chills. What a sweet little girl you have. God bless!

Becky said...

Congrats on your first family day!! She is as beautiful today as she was the day she was placed in your waiting arms!

Hugs,
Becky

Michelle said...

Laura
Great to read...
I remember sitting at home and checking out everyone's web sites along with our Snapfish photos..I remember seeing that mirror picture. Thanks for posting.
Lots of Hugs at this time!!!
Michelle

Stacie said...

I can still remember everything about that day, hearing the babies cry, trying to listen to the speech before they handed them to us but not really paying attention,watching everyone's reactions to their babies. we will always remember the trip and the friends we made on the journey.

Anonymous said...

WOW..I have to say as I read your "One Year Ago" I cried like I was hearing your whole story for the first time. You are such a beautiful family and I am so excited for all of you for it to continue to grow. Lots of Love.
Kelly Sullivan and family

Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful pictures!!! Annslee is so cute! Looking at her on gotcha day, I can't believe how much Poppy looks like her. It's funny. Give Annslee big hugs from us and we can't wait to see you!
Love, Jen

 
Site Meter