Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Thoughts on Mother's Day

So I have been trying to decide what to write about my thoughts on Mother's Day. Do I think Hallmark has made a killing on us honoring Moms this one day a year and we should just spread out the love all year long? Sure I do. Do I realize how incredibly hard and depressing this day can be for some women..absolutely. I grew up in a very rural church where on Mother's Day they would have all the mothers stand to be honored. I learned to hate that tradition as the years went by and I never got to stand. I was 36 when I married and had long stopped attending that church and luckily the bigger churches I started going to realized what a painful tradition that could be. I know now that there were women in my church who had lost children, never been able to conceive or never married who also felt the kick in the gut when others were standing receiving their rose.
After I got married I thought church on Mother's Day would now be better. I could spend time with my own mom and dream of the day it would be a shared event for us. That first Mother's Day I was on my honeymoon. I called home from Spain and wished her a Happy Mother's Day and went on enjoying myself thinking there would be many more to come. Unfortunately my mom passed away very suddenly a couple of months later and so the next two Mother's Days were very painful. If I remember correctly we didn't go to church on either of those years (2003 & 2004) and instead just treated it like any other day. In 2005 we had been logged in to China for a little over 3 months and at that time it meant we were halfway to our referral so we celebrated because I finally felt like a Mom! I knew our daughter had been born and we would hold her very soon.
Last year I celebrated my first Mother's Day with Annslee and it helped erased all the painful and disappointing years before. It truly was a wonderful day as was this year and I am sure all the years to come. Being someone's Mama is the most precious gift and I cherish it. I also have a wonderful Mother-in Law and she treats me as her daughter so I am blessed beyond measure for that. I am sad that my mom never got to meet Annslee because they would have been big buddies!
I do know there are many women who are still waiting for it to be a day to celebrate and I hope that day comes soon for all of you!

Here are some more pics from our weekend together!


On Friday night the three of us went to a Thai restaurant that GiGi told us about. Thai is my favorite food so for a Pre-Mother's Day treat we headed out. Of course there was no children's menu but I didn't want a huge dish for Annslee so I asked about making her a child's portion of noodles but was told they didn't do that. However, once they saw Annslee she came out and said "Oh, she is so cute..I will make her whatever she wants" Hmmm...I think we were just given some preferential treatment and I probably should feel bad about it but hey, I needed some noodles LOL
As you can see she dug right in and was also stealing baby corn off daddy's plate. Our server commented that usually she would rubberband the chopsticks for the little ones but didn't need to for Annslee because she was so good with them. She can pick most things up (corn, rice, noodles) and she is equally skilled with her left or right hand which means you never know whose plate she is headed for next. The funniest thing is sometimes she twirls her noodles around them Italian style ; )







Like I said my mother-in-law is wonderful and she and Annslee had a great time all weekend



Walking the dogs was one of our favorite things to do


When the cousins arrived the bubbles came out!

We can't wait to go back....

13 comments:

Mommy Spice said...

Very well said. As I have read others posts about the pain they have felt on Mother's Day in the past and present, I realize I'm not the only one. I really only knew one other person at the time that felt the way I did. I even felt a little ashamed for feeling so lost and hurt on that day. There are really so many people who have felt that way. Thanks for sharing your story.

Your daughter is a cutie, and quite good with the chopsticks.

Beckyb said...

That was so well-put. It can be a tough day but it is a great day to think about the gifts we all have in our mothers!! I LOVE your pics - she is such a cutie!!!

Karianne said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your mom, and so happy that you and you MIL get along so well.

I have been wanting to write something about Mother's Day as well, but so far I've just posted what we did. I want to get into it a little deeper though, because I kept thinking about it this weekend as well.

Karianne said...

PS. That family pic of you guys with all of your smiles is so great. I love those types of shots!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Very well said, Mothers day can be wonderful for some women and just painful for others.

I love all the pics especially the ones of Annslee eating noodles...very cute.

Steffie B. said...

Happy belated Mother's Day to you! I'm so glad you had a wonderful day!

kitchu said...

I love what you said about how Mother's Day (or the pain of experiencing it without having a child, and then without having your mom) was transformed by having Anslee with you. Last year I was in such a daze cuz my mom had only died 5 months prior to Mom's Day. This year was my toughest yet, without her. It gives me hope reading your post.
Thanks for sharing.

Sherry said...

That was some post. I am sorry that your mom could only be with you in spirit on Mothers Day. I know she would be so proud of how great a mother you are to Annslee:)

So Happy Mother's Day (a little late) & go stand up at that church. LOL!

J said...

Good thoughts.

We also get a bit of fawning over (for the little ones) at our local Thai restaurant too. It's GREAT!

S. said...

Oh goodie, one more reason to love Thai!

About Mother's Day, at my (new) church they gave roses and had the mothers stand. During they prayer those who had lost mothers were awknowledged, but not those who had lost children or struggled with infertility. I really think churches need to do a better job ministering to people in those circumstances (not just on mother's day!).

As always love to see the pics of Anslee, she is so darn adorable!

redmaryjanes said...

I am so glad that you have your daughter. Your pictures are wonderful. You always look like you are all having such a great time!

Connor Register said...

Laura, well said on many points. The pain of infertility, lost parents, and lost children is unfathomable unless you have been there. Our church honored those that were not "Moms" as well by having them stand and receive applause for the love that they extend to other's children. I agree the church needs to do a better job of addressing the pain of not just Mother's Day but Father's Day as well.

Kay Kay loves, loves, loves bubbles too!

Hugs and miss y'all a heap!

Jennifer said...

What a great post! You have a terrific family and one adorable little girl to be a mommy to! Can't wait for you to be a mommy of two!!!

 
Site Meter