Sometimes things just come out of the people's mouths and you find yourself speechless~ yeah, I know, I am rarely speechless but it does happen : ) You remember my International Market incident I am sure. Well, I was talking with some other moms (who all have children from Asia) and mentioned the incident and that led to me raving about the many choices for Korean and Vietnamese restaurants in the area. At one point in the conversation a couple of them made statements indicating they would NOT feel comfortable going into "that part" of town. Yes, the area has changed a lot since I lived there (from birth to 7 yrs old) and it may not be where I would want to be at 2 am (heck, I'd be in bed for hours by then anyway!) I guess I always just find it strange and sad that they are afraid to be in the part of town their children would likely blend into. They go home each day and love on their Asian children but aren't comfortable around other Asians...ones who haven't been totally "Americanized" I guess? I'm not really going anywhere with this I guess but it just bothered me so thought I'd put it out there....
Incident of "say WHAT??" number two is actually funny and really strange! We were at the grocery store last night and a lady commented on the cuteness of the kids. She then asked "Are they twins?" I swear she did~ ummmmm no~ they are 3 years and 2 months apart in age people!! She was really sweet but that is definitely a question/comment I have NEVER gotten with them and likely never will again : )
Here is some photographic evidence of just how much they look like twins LOL

*oh no Annslee is kind of leaning down in this pic making them look closer in height than they are and I do have them in coordinating swimsuits so maybe they are kind of twin like in this pic ; )
20 comments:
HAHAHHAHAHHA so funny. Lulu made an annslee face today. email me, i forgot your new email. i suck.
What a moron to ask if they are twins!! Love the matching swim suits BTW.
I have gotten asked if I "feel safe" where I live because it's in Antioch. Whatever....Bellevue isn't looking a whole lot better these days (where the person asking that lives)...lol
Oh my gosh...TWINS??? Oh boy!!!
These are great photos!! Annslee is looking sooo grown up these days!!
So.not.twins. BUT OH SO CUTE!!! Love the matching suits:)
Yeah, we get a lot of strange comments, my fave is when people ask where Hannah is from, and then follow it with "and the big one, where'd ya get her?" Makes my blood boil! I am learning a tremendous amount of grace!! :)
Love being back in touch with the blogosphere - I have so missed your family!!
Love,
Heather
Love the matching swimsuits!!
Isn't amazing what comes out of some people's mouths? I swear soem people don't think before they speak!
Happy Fourth!!
Hugs, Jill
Maybe she meant are they "real" brother and sister? I'm getting ready for that one. Or maybe she just thinks all Asians look alike and therefore missed the age difference.
Looks like they're getting ready for the 4th!
They have the same tanned.
Once a grocery store checker asked me, with the husband standing right next to me and holding the Tongginator, if we planned to ever tell her that she was adopted. I replied, "umm... I think she'd figure it out even if we didn't." Heh.
As to your first story... I get you. I know exactly what you mean. And that is the kind of attitude that many of these vocal adult adoptees are talking about.
Twins?!?! Not sure what they were like at the grocery store, but if they were half as cute as they are together in their 'matching' swimsuits, maybe all the cuteness blurred the height and other differences and they did look like twins!!! LOL!
Oh and the other issue: I think that is my biggest issue that I have with some of the other families with our FCC group - they only want to do things that other adoptive families NOT with the Asian community. Seesh. And here's the granddaddy of them all: "Oh, we don't use chopsticks; they're just to hard to figure out. Besides I think they would be too much work." I was stunned! Speechless! I mean WTF, you can't learn to use one of the most basic tools of your child's birth country!!!! And if that is the case... PLEASE do not say it out loud!... OK, you got me on a roll now...
lol, I have gotten that question before about my older two...! lol
And not too long ago someone asked me that about Naomi and Bailey...some people are just weird!
It would really bother meif I heard someone say they didn't want to go in "that" part of town too. I mean come oo! I LOVE going to China town, how ignorant of those people.
Maybe you should tell them, that Chinese peole think we smell like sheep.LOl..Ya, I just found that out a while ago. ha ha ha don't ask me why that would help matters though! ha ha
Are they twins? That is hysterical! What was she thinking!
Ahh yes the twins question. We got that once too. I had to laugh.
LOL! Sometimes... I think people leave their brains at home!
;)
We adopted a little girl from Vietnam last January from the same orphanage and saw that you took her photo from there and posted it elsewhere on another website. In fact, we believe that our girl was the baby you mention that was placed in your boy's crib after you picked him up. Since the e-mail that we sent to you from that site was returned to us, we would love for you to send us your e-mail so we could send you some photos of our beautiful princess. We may be reached at KBL1519@yahoo.com. Thank you very much for taking her picture. Photos of our children from that time in their lives are so rare and precious. Thanks
Twins?? That IS one for the record books!!!!!
Both ABSOLUTELY adorable? Yes!!!!
Oh, the twins question! Our girls are closer in age then your two, but really they look *nothing* alike, except...wait for it...they are both Asian.
Like Mary, I've got issues with some of the FCC families here too. It does seem sometimes like they think as long as they associate with adoptive families with children from China that they have done their part in embracing the culture and heritage. *sigh*
Oh, that makes me roar!
We get a lot of: Are they real sisters? YES!
I feel for you about the restaurant comments. That stuff really bothers me too. They attend FCC events and that's it. Doesn't cut it in my book!
Tee hee! The twin comment you got has to be the best "say what?!?" comment I've ever heard!
Your kids are ridiculously cute!
Yes, it kills me when people who have adopted children from Asia have that sort of attitude. Come on! One would think that after going through the adoption process and educating oneself on it (as required in some cases by the agencies) then you would know better. Reminds me of how when we were in China and there were some folks (not many, but a few) that would not eat the local fare and were constantly on the prowl for a MickeyD's.
Hee Hee!!! Yup - it's the matching bathing suits that threw her for a loop.
Unless you did Coby's hair in pigtails and don't want to own up to it?!!!! :)
Post a Comment