Now we find out that BRATZ dolls are made in a Chinese sweatshop. That and the fact that some of them wear thong underwear and for various other reasons, Annslee will not be having them. I know I may have said the same thing about Barney years ago but the Purple Dinosaur is not in the same "class" as these Prosti Tots (wish I'd made up the name but I didn't , a friend did)
NEW YORK, Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/
-- Noted labor rights watchdog Charles Kernaghan of the National Labor Committee has released a report today documenting sweatshop conditions at a Chinese factory where Bratz dolls are made for California-based MGA Entertainment for sale at stores in the U.S. including Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us.
The men and women who make the dolls, which now make up forty percent of the U.S. fashion doll market, well ahead of Barbie dolls this season, are paid 17 cents for each doll they assemble. The dolls typically sell in the U.S. for at least $15.89. The women are forced to work seven-day weeks of up to ninety- four hours.
Approximately 4,000 workers at the Hua Tai 4K Factory in Guangdong Province are part of the Hong Kong based Hua Cheng Group.
Principal findings for the study include the following conditions: * Routine 13 1/2 to 15 1/2-hour shifts, seven days a week. * Workers at the factory 94 1/2 hours a week. * Paid just 51 1/2 cents an hour and $4.03 a day. * Workers denied work injury and health insurance, in direct violation of China's law. * Taking a sick day results in loss of three days' wages. * Workers failing to meet their production goals must remain working -- unpaid -- until the target is met. * Workers are not allowed paid days off to get married. * Ten workers share a small dorm room, sleeping on metal bunk beds. There is no shower or TV. * If a worker breaks a doll, she is docked five hours' wages. * Before the gullible Wal-Mart auditors arrive, the workers are provided Cheat Sheets with a list of the "correct" answers, which they must memorize. * Now the factory wants to fire every worker and then bring them back as temporary workers with contracts limited to just one to eight months -- which will strip them of any legal rights they have. The workers are planning to strike in January 2007. * The workers are paid just 17 cents for each Bratz doll they assemble. * The total cost of production for a Bratz doll made in China is $3.01. When the doll enters the U.S., the companies mark up the cost by another 428 percent, adding $12.88, for a retail price of $15.89.
"Many parents are already concerned about the big doe-eyed, super-sized lipped, scantily-clad, high-heeled and anorexic Bratz dolls being marketed to their very young children. Now we learn that they're made under sweatshop conditions in China. Once again we find that there's a very dark underside to Wal-Mart's "everyday low prices," said Kernaghan.
Full Report Available at http://www.nlcnet.org/live/article.php?id=197
National Labor Committee
CONTACT: Charles Kernaghan or Barbara Briggs of the National Labor
Committee, +1-212-242-3002
Web site: http://www.nlcnet.org/live/article.php?id=197
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






11 comments:
That is one doll I detest! Liv knows she will not be allowed to have them and if she gets one as a gift they get returned and if no gift receipt, into the trash they go.
Ugh, I depise Bratz dolls. Not exactly what I want my daughter to "aspire" to be.
They have got to be the trashiest dolls, now I think even less of them!
We are a non-fashion doll house also. I suppose I may have to capitulate on brabie (she will be able to only make clothes for them as we were) then she can have fashion shows if she wishes. I will not spend a cent on bratz. What kind of image does that portray that I want my daughter exposed to? Certainly not a good one - with college and service to others... etc. Nah - I will get doctor/vet kits, erector sets, lincoln logs and soccer balls before those ill-chosen dolls.
Missy - now and forever a March Moonbeam!
I can not stand those hootchie dolls! Big lips and hooker clothes.Yuck! We are a Bratz free home!
I have never been a BRATZ fan either! I am totally disgusted that the little ones left behind face working in these conditions so that some American company can make another CEO obscenely rich. Mikayla will not be having any of these dolls. Disgusting! And Saddening!
A good friend and I have always called these dolls Hooker Barbies (though not in front of the children, of course). My girls know not to even bother asking. What really amazes me is all the GRANDMAS I see buying those things when I'm shopping. Blah!
There is a fascinating article in the New Yorker -Dec 4, 2005 issue about Bratz and Barbie and now Bratz is muscling in on Barbie's audience and why girls like them so much. If you can find a back issue (library?) it might be something you'd be interested in reading.
Thanks for sharing.
Christina
I abhor the bratz dolls. good for you for not buying them for Annslee. I am not a huge fan of barbie either, but the bratz dolls, to me, are like some kind of perveted version of jr hooker dolls. booh hiss, on the creators and manufacturers for making such a horrendous toy and using "slave labor" to make them.
We call them hoochie dolls, but I love Prosti Tots! Yeah, not the role model I was hoping for!
Holy Mackeroly I had no idea! Will spread the word.
Post a Comment