Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wearing Hats

One thing we know is that when we are in Vietnam getting Malia they will expect our daughters to wear hats to keep the sun off them. When we were in China we experienced the "clothing police", aka sweet ladies who would admonish us for having an inch of NaNa's skin showing when she was sweating in the 70 degree weather, so we know what we are in for. However, keeping a hat on a baby is one thing but Annslee has a mind of her own so we need to start practicing this. She has gotten really good at keeping sunglasses on but hats usually don't last very long. Hopefully by the time we go she will like wearing hats..she looks so cute in them after all!!

I don't know why but in this photo it looks like I only put sunscreen on her from the waist up. Actually her arms are the color of her legs. I do apply sunscreen (50 spf) to her entire body everyday. I know she won't burn but I read somewhere that the damage the sun does to your skin is done in the first 6 years of your life. I don't know if that is true but I do know that even if you tan and don't burn you still are damaging your skin. So all you Mamas out there put sunscreen on your sweeties!
This is a visor she got last summer from Aunt Stacy and she thought it was a good way to start. At least the sun would be off her face : )






She likes to give kisses through the rails on the stairs and we don't mind a bit!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God the Chinese relatives will not. shut. up. about the baby being cold. It was 80 degrees last week and they wanted me to wrap him in fur, stuff him into a sleeping bag and bury him under the duvet. They make up for it by bringing me food, but STILL.

Also, I'm sure I've told you this before, but if I had a girl I would have wanted to name her Malia. Except I can't, because my BFF's name is Malia and that would just be confusing. Anyway. LOVE that name. Loooove.

kitchu said...

Such a cutie... and you can never go wrong with sunscreen. I'm not sure about the first 6 year thing, but EVERY one of us should be wearing sunscreen- skin cancer is probably one of the most preventable cancers, plus premature aging is no fun...I noticed larger "freckles" on my face ,and my best friend (also a physician) told me I should be putting it on just to mow the lawn or go for a run, or I'll keep getting these "freckles" (bigger though than freckles).

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Yep kids and hats...I know just what you mean!

Jo said...

Thanks for the ideas of things to bring home for our daughter. I wrote them down and will give the list to my mom because I am sure I will forget....

Polar Bear said...

She sure looks good in the visor!

I am trying to get in the habit of putting on sunscreen every morning. It is a good thing to do, just not always easy to remember. :)

Anonymous said...

I love how her personality always pops right out of the pictures. :) I always put sunscreen on my girls. It makes me feel a bit more at ease even though they always tan right through it.

Beckyb said...

I just don't think she could get any cuter!!! AND I LOVE the hat!! Chloe is a hat kid too!!!

Anonymous said...

Annslee looks adorable in that visor! (I can't get Linlee to wear hats, sunglasses, or even pony tails at this point!)

Anonymous said...

oh crud, I just realized I sent the kids to school with no sunscreen and it's really sunny out today. Thanks for the reminder!
It is important, even for darker skinned kids because the UVA rays do a lot of damage even though they don't cause burns. Even with sunscreen two of my kids darken right up every year. Totally unfair - I go straight to burn every time.

Karianne said...

She is getting so big! I can't wait for baby sis!

Connor Register said...

Such a cutie! Save one of those smooches for Aunt Linda (in Ocala)!

You are EXACTLY CORRECT about the sunscreen and skin damage. Even one sunburn episode can cause cancer later in life...enough preaching. I know you are extremely diligent with Annslee. You are a great Mom, & Malia is a blessed little girl.

 
Site Meter