Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, April 25, 2008

Well, it is official

Well, I really wanted to post more fun pictures of our reunion last weekend (and I will do that) but I do feel like I have to post today's release from the US Embassy about adoptions in Vietnam. I will post a link to the entire release and you feel free to read it to understand better. Here is the part that made my stomach turn and makes me wonder when/if we will bring Malia home ~


Adopted Children Immigrant Visa Unit
Warning Concerning Adoptions in Vietnam
April 2008
The Department of State continues to urge prospective adoptive parents and adoption service providers not to initiate new adoptions from Vietnam at this time. The 2005 Memorandum of Agreement, required by Vietnamese law to authorize adoptions between the United States and Vietnam, expires on September 1, 2008. In addition, recent field investigations have revealed incidents of serious adoption irregularities, including forged or altered documentation, mothers paid, coerced or tricked into releasing their children, and children offered for adoption without the knowledge or consent of their birth parents.
The United States is strongly committed to processing legitimate intercountry adoptions from Vietnam if possible. Our primary concern is to ensure that the children and families involved in the adoption process are protected from exploitation. The Government of Vietnam shares this concern. Both countries acknowledge that more needs to be done to address deficiencies in the current system.
On April 25, the Government of Vietnam announced that it will allow adoption to be completed in cases where prospective adoptive parents have been matched with a child and received an official referral prior to September 1, 2008. It further stated that in accordance with Vietnamese law, the DIA will suspend the acceptance of new dossiers on July 1, 2008. On September 1, 2008 any dossier that has not received a referral will be closed and returned to the Adoption Service Provider. In view of the processing time required in Vietnam from placement to the Giving and Receiving Ceremony, an adoption process begun now cannot be completed before the current Agreement expires.

Here are the links to both releases:

Warning concerning adoptions in Vietnam

Read this for the full story

Let me first say that I do want adoptions from Vietnam to be ethical. The mere thought of birthparents being tricked, paid off and deceived is appalling. The children and their first families deserve more than that. I do not want to ever question whether our daughter was truly an orphan.

We have waited for almost 18 months already and so the chances of a referral in the next four months doesn't seem very likely to me. We are waiting for some official word from our agency on where they think we stand. I have run through many emotions today and honestly, I don't know where I stand right now. I will keep you all posted of course and please keep us and other families in your prayers. Mostly, pray for the children who will be affected by this. Pray that Annslee has her little sister home soon as she is so excited and we are too.



After this type of post here is a reminder of how I keep smiling even on a day like today ~




58 comments:

Susan said...

Aww, honey, I don't know what to say. I'm just sick over this situation and all the families that are caught up in it. Like you, I want ethical adoptions above everything else, but I also want Malia to come home to your family. You and all the other waiting families will continue to be in my prayers.

Becky said...

Oh sweetie my heart just hurts for you, your family and all the families in limbo. Our continued prayers for all involved.

Hugs to you my Lovebug friend!

Becky

Kate said...

My heart is hurting for us all. I hope you find peace in the decision you make.
{{HUGS}}

Robin said...

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I've been reading about this in the news and thinking of you. While you don't think your chances in the next four months are very high, anything is possible. I hope you hear from your agency very soon and I'm praying that the news is positive. xx

peiszong said...

All the best!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry you are going through this. We got caught in the same thing with Romania and still have a daughter waiting for us. I'll be praying for you...and for all of the children who wait.

~Lynn

Michelle said...

I keep thinking of you--you just seem so close--sending a BIG HUG your way.

Sarah said...

Hugs to you...

Mother of 2 Angels said...

Just as I told you babes - we are totally hurt and distraught for you all.

Sofie said...

Oh Laura - I am so sorry to hear about this. I can imagine how hard this must be for you. I wish the process could be easier for all involved. When I was waiting and waiting for our China adoption to come to fruition you were so nice to me through the CHI email list. You helped me deal with the wait and the uncertainty by sending me such a nicely written, kind e-mail. I wish I could offer some sort of inspiration to you - all I can say is that this really stinks. I can imagine the size of the pitt in your stomach. Hopefully Vietnam plans on sending as many referrals as they can before the deadline. I will be thinking about your family and hoping for good news.

Also - I have been meaning to comment to tell you that I LOVE all of the pictures of Annslee. She is so adorable I can hardly stand it. Her love of life and 3 year old energy comes through in every shot. Thanks so much for sharing!
Katie

Mommy Spice said...

Well, that just stinks. I'm so sorry, but I do hope that things will work in your favor. We will be praying for your family.

kitchu said...

I'm so sorry. I'd heard about this but wasn't sure how it would affect you guys.

I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

jennifer said...

Laura - I am so, so sorry. I wish there was something I could say or do to make it better, but I know there isn't. I will be praying for you and your family. I do know that God has a master plan.

Anonymous said...

You were one of my first thoughts yesterday as I started sorting through all the reading. I was hoping maybe things were looking closer since isn't there a new province they've been starting to work with? In any case - I am certainly keeping your family in particular in my thoughts hoping somehow it still happens for you.

Kelley said...

I am really hoping that you get matched before that deadline...I'll keep you in my prayers!

Steffie B. said...

Laura I am so sorry.....I will pray that you can make some peace with what is going on and that yoru eyes may open to other possibilities.

Anonymous said...

Awe, nuts. What depressing news. Laura, I'm so sorry. Thank heavens you have the beautiful Miss Annslee to hold and love while you figure out what your next step is.

My thoughts are with you, sweetie...

redmaryjanes said...

I am so sorry my dear friend.

Julie said...

I am so sorry to hear that adoptions are closing but thankful to hear that they have acknowledged the problem. My prayers are with you. Annslee is going to be a great big sister, and Malia will come home to her family!

Johnny said...

Sorry about the news.

shelley said...

My heart aches for this situation. Those sweet children deserve a chance at a home as wonderful as yours. You will be in my thoughts.

Tracy said...

I just wanted to add my "I'm so sorry" to your list of comments here. I too have thought a lot about you and your situation lately. It was a sad day when that report came out (not only for those waiting for referral but for thos of us that already have our children home)

Deb said...

Laura...I am so sorry to read this. I had heard it a while back and wondered how this would affect you. We will certainly keep you and your family in our prayers!

Juliette said...

Sorry about this. Seems the IA world is gloomy right now and sadly the kids will be paying the price more than anybody.
Hugs to you and positive vibes your way.

Rydley said...

I saw this and thought of your family instantly. I'm so sorry about this big mess for all the birth families, children and adoptive parents.

KrisJ said...

Dang it right! Im so bummed, words cant explain and I know you know exactly how Im feeling. Thank you so much for the comment it meant a lot. After reading this stuff yesterday and crying I thought of all of us who are waiting and I really did think of you guys and how we both need our Malias home. I will be praying for us all, that referrals will continue to come in so we can be blessed along with the children waiting for a good warm home.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry this is happening. I hope that your adoption is one of the exceptions and you get your referral.
Praying that it all works out.

Nikki said...

Oh gosh, Laura, my heart is breaking for you...I don't even know what to say.
I'll send up some extra prayers on your behalf - and for those babies waiting as well.
Hugs to you and to that sweet angel of yours!

Denise C said...

OH Laura,
I am praying for you and sending big hugs your way! All my love, sweet friend!!!

asiangard said...

I read this the other day and I was thinking about you. ((hugs))

mommy24treasures said...

oh Laura I am so sorry, I can just imagine the way your stomach must have felt.
Please know you are in my prayers.
I know you feel like the wait has been forever already.:(
I just truly have faith the Red Thread will guide you to your daughter. Keep the faith. Listen to your heart and follow.
I know God has a daughter that is meant to be Annslee's sister... I just know it.
Love
C

Patricia said...

Oh Laura, I am PRAYING for all of you & for the children who need wonderful families like yours!! I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Know that you're in my thoughts & prayers & I'm sending you GREAT BIG HUGS from NYC!! Praying that it works out!!

Christy said...

My hear is breaking for you right now. It is not over and your Malia may be referred to you soon. I am so sorry you are put in this position and I will keep you in my prayers.

Christy :)

Cindy said...

I'm praying!

Anonymous said...

This whole thing seems horrible for pretty much everyone involved. I'm so sorry. Thinking of you.

Lucy P said...

The Family here in Wuhan is Lifting you and your family Up these days! I love the pics of your Hubei Honey (et al.) in my US hometown!!! Many hopes that your family can continue to nurture those who need ppl to love them! Much love to you and Annslee from China!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my.

Lea
xoxoxo

Marla said...

Wow, Laura, I don't know what to say except to offer my prayers and support. Many hugs to you!!

Kelly said...

it is a nightmare situation and I am at a loss for words. We have been on this journey together, and even though R and I have taken a bit of a detour, we still believed that we would somehow bring our baby from Vietnam home and you would bring home Annslee's little sister.
I know that our Vietnam adoption will never happen now, but it is my fervent prayer that yours will.

Patty said...

I am so sorry to hear about Vietnam! I can't even imagine how you guys are doing. We will keep you all in our prayers! Who knows what may happen by September. With all our love, Patty and Liana

Sheryl said...

I immediately thought of you when I heard this news yesterday. I am sorry. Still praying for Annslee's baby sister. Hugs, Graycen's mama

Gwen Oatsvall said...

i just don't even know what to say ... i am so sorry ... please keep me posted ... i will be praying ..

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh Laura. I don't know what to say except I love you and I know God must have a plan. He just must. Lifting you all up!

Michelle R Photography said...

I am so sorry to read this. I can't imagine all the thoughts that are running through your mind. I will be praying for you and all families who are waiting... and for all the children.

3 Peanuts said...

I am thinking of you and hoping that it all works out for you. BIG HUGS!

insanemommy said...

Words can not express how sad I am to hear such heart breaking news. Wrapping my arms around you with big tight Rony hugs.

Sherri said...

My heart is just breaking for you three and all the other families being affected by this mess. I know you have faith. God will reward that and bring you the daughter he has chosen for you. You are in my prayers.

Mia's Mommy said...

Laura, you were the very first person that I thought about when I read the embassy statement. I'm praying for you and your family. I don't even know what to say other than I'm sorry for the anxiety you're dealing with. But, I know that there is a Plan for your family, it may just look a little different than you thought, or it may not. I'm thinking of you!

missy said...

Laura,

I wish there were something I could say or do to ease this worry. I will keep you and your family and all involved in my thoughts and prayers.

Lots of hugs coming your way!
Missy

Sue said...

So sorry to read this update. We've been thinking of you and hoping you will hear some good news from your agency. And we'll keep our fingers crossed that you *will* have Malia's referral by Sept. 1!!!

Shelly and Family said...

My heart totally goes out to you and your family during this time of "unknowing"...I wish there was more I could do or say....

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

Alyson and Ford said...

This is terrible!! I hope you get soe better news!

Alyson LID 01/27/06

R&H said...

I thought of you when I heard the news. I knew you had been waiting so very long for a referral.
The situation just sucks and has kept me from a good nights sleep. All we can do is hope for the best right now I guess.
I'm thinking about your family.
Heather
Email me for our new blog
heo230 7@ gmail.com

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

I am sending hugs and hugs your way. I have been thinking about you a lot lately and wondering what was going on with your VN adoption. I will continue to pray for your family and for all the children in VN. This is all so sad. I am praying that Malia will be home soon.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I have been keeping your family in the forefront of my thoughts lately. I know this was a devastating blow. I am glad to hear your agency is working with you and giving some suggestions. I recently read a blog where one person's agency basically said "tough luck" and isn't being much help at all. No surprise that the agency she is with is somewhat infamous in the VN community for all the wrong reasons. Yes, perhaps with another agency (even an ethical one) you would have a referral by now, but you are definitely with one of the good ones, so take heart in that. I will keep on thinking good thoughts for you and I sincerely hope good news is headed your way.

C's Mom said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Your attitude and ability to keep focus on the gifts in your life is wonderful.

Sherry said...

Just thinking of you... give me a shout whenever:)

 
Site Meter