Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Four years ago today someone made a long walk down a dirt road in Qichun to place a beautiful baby on the steps of an orphanage. I have no idea who it was and never will but someone in her first family had to make that walk. All we know is she was brought there on that day in January. The other thing we know is she wasn't a newborn as the doctor guessed her at a little over 2.5 months old. There are various reasons a child would be kept this long~ was she a twin, were they working hard to find another family member who could raise her, did the birthmother pray that she would be allowed to keep this daughter? I always find myself thinking of her family in China on this day as this is a date we "know for sure" unlike her birthday. I guess none of us who have brought our children home really know that unless they had a birthnote (and that is rare and maybe inaccurate anyway) There are just so many unknowns and I know Annslee will one day have many questions. I wonder if we'll be able to answer them well. What I do know is there were other alternatives and they chose to bring her somewhere safe where she would be found quickly and for that we are eternally grateful. I am sad the journey up that dirt road had to be made but am thankful she is with us. I can't help but realize that all our joy having her as a daughter is in part due to a huge loss for her and her first family. I hope somehow they know she is safe and happy here on the other side of the world and that we can give her the life she deserves.







We took this picture of her on her finding spot when we visited the SWI (*Nov 2005)

16 comments:

Johnny said...

A somber day. And yet, she was smiling from the very beginning. I also think of "that day" for our kids as well. And, our son as also not a newborn. I too think of decisions and discussions made that we'll never know anything about.

Peace to all.

Marla said...

What a precious post Laura. God bless our girls' mothers for the decisions they had to make.

Juliette said...

Same questions here. M was about 2 months old when discovered.
My heart is so heavy some days thinking about them, their loss and M loss. Today is one of them...

Lauren's Nana said...

I have thought of Lauren's birth family so often, the decision she made had to be just heart wrenching,I cannot even imagine her pain since I have never felt it but I have felt the blessings that she has given us by being so unselfish and making sure that Lauren was safe and I thank her and God every day for her ability to do so. I also hope the birth family's know how loved and safe all of these girls are. We are all so blessed:).

Shelly and Family said...

What a post! Just knowing what our little girls went through and how they came into our lives (boy, are we so blessed!)...it has changed me in a way that I will never be the same...

Thank you for sharing Annslee finding story...

Michelle R Photography said...

Oh, I know. It is so difficult knowing only bits and pieces and not knowing if you'll be able to explain it adequately to a child. But this Annslee will surely know: that she is loved beyond measure.

That bottom picture is just so cute!!

Unknown said...

beautiful post about remember the past of a beautiful little girl

Rydley said...

Beautifully written.

Her smile at her finding spot is so striking too...

Heidi said...

I always feel that because I have had so many losses in my own life, that I was meant to be with a child who also has experienced deep loss. But you're right, it is so sad. It's great that you remember her first family on this day.

redmaryjanes said...

A wonderful post Laura. She was always meant to find her way to you.

Kate said...

I really enjoyed this post. It stirs deep emotions in every AP. Thanks so much for sharing!

GGAdventures said...

Beautiful post. The pic of A on the steps of the SWI is adorable.

Saint Louis Family Robinson said...

Great post!!!

Oh, I have the similar thoughts and feeling.... it's weird to have such sad feelings about something that has brought me such happiness.

Patricia said...

Beautiful post...these thoughts are always swirling around my head as well...

Love how Miss A was smiling...even back then, at the very start of your lives together.

C's Mom said...

What a powerful post. These very issues are really on my mind constantly now.

Kim, Jeff, Emily and Benjamin said...

As mothers, I know all our hearts ache at thinking how our childrens' birth mothers made the greatest sacrifice and how terribly difficult it must have been for them. I'm convinced they must also think of these children still, if only occassionally. Thank you for putting into words what so many of us feel.

 
Site Meter