Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Referral Day

I wanted to get this down so I wouldn't forget (yeah, right!) I don't know if many of you will bother reading as it may get long and ramble LOL

The day we received our referral for our son was a pretty busy day. It was our last day at the beach so I spent some time packing and then we went out to the beach. Annslee played with her cousins ~ surfing and duck, duck goose : ) Gigi came out and watched her while I went to load the car. We then started out on what would turn out to be a 7 1/2 hour drive to our friend's house near Atlanta. I have to admit I was getting tired and cranky, we both were, and when the phone rang at 8:33 pm (Eastern time) I picked it up with a sigh. I then heard T's voice and didn't know whether to be excited or afraid. I then settled into the thought that she was calling b/c I'd left her a message about FINALLY receiving our renwal for our I 171 H. (If I had been thinking clearly I would have realized she wouldn't call about that on a Friday night LOL) Anyway, she asked if I could talk and I ask if it was good or bad. She then said "how about a child referral?" UMMMMM...what?? Please remember that it is just me and Annslee in the car, she is NOT happy about still being in the car, I am on a road I have never been on, it is dark ~ you get the picture : ) I told her I would need to get off at the next exit to write stuff down. You see, I am not good at driving and writing Vietnamese at the same time! I got off, pulled into a Zaxby's parking lot and took down the info. I honestly don't remember much of what either of us said. I don't know if it is b/c I was shocked or b/c Annslee was saying "get out Mommy, Annslee all done" over and over from the back. I do know that when she said his birthday I thought I misunderstood as I was expecting an older child. She said she sent an email with pictures and so I got back on the road so I could get to a computer ASAP. She probably thought I wasn't excited b/c I was pretty calm but honestly, I was stunned. After 21 months of waiting for it to happen, the entire call took 11 minutes.

I called Daddy to tell him and I think he was stunned too. He really didn't say much and I did go ahead and tell him to look at the pictures. We wouldn't be home until the next day and I had no intention of waiting so why should he! His mom had called a few times to check on our drive so I told him to be sure and call her for me. I then spent the rest of the drive calling everyone I could think of. Poor Annslee was stuck in the back listening to me on the phone but she did great and watched Lit*tle Bill for the 100th time (this show is her new fav). I remember I kept thinking we would get our referral at the beach (last year!) and we would have still been at the beach to get it this year but I left a day early so we could get back home so Daddy could have the weekend with us : ) I also had been carrying my small camera everywhere because I planned on having Annslee take my picture getting the call but that didn't happen so no pics of the actual call.

We pulled into our friend's house and they of course had already received a call from me with the news. Daddy had called to say the pics weren't there yet so I chatted for a few minutes but then headed to the computer. Annslee was on my lap and I pulled up his pictures. I hate to admit it but I was worried about how I would react. We spent years preparing for a daughter/sister, I wasn't sure if I was really prepared for a son/brother. This was my second time experiencing this...I had the same fear many people have confessed to having, can I love any child as much as I do Annslee? I wanted to be as excited as I was when we got our referral for Miss A but worried I wouldn't be. I have to say, when I pulled them up and said "Annslee, there's Coby" and she grinned and said "baby brother" I was HOOKED! Seeing his two fingers in his mouth sealed the deal~ that was a look I knew, he looked so familiar to me. I printed off his pictures b/c I knew I would have to look at them over and over. He gets more and more handsome everytime I look at them.

*yeah, he is fuzzy..sorry but had to do it.



I took the printed pictures to the room we were staying in and put them on my bag. I went back out to visit with everyone and later when I came back in, Annslee was on the bed looking at them. Yes, I have pictures of that moment but sadly, can't post them as you as you can see Coby in them : (

I drove home the next morning and first thing Monday morning we signed and sent our acceptance papers. There was no doubt, this is our boy! I have a word that is now familiar on my lips that I never dreamed I would say "son" , isn't it amazing how God works. We now wait for approval from the US side which is taking 60-100 days...I have November in my head for travel. Maybe we'll have the same family day we have with Annslee (Nov 14) We are just anxious to bring him HOME!!!

37 comments:

dwayne and melanie said...

I am still so happy for you. Love, love, love his name. Annslee is so good! you guys will be very blessed because this is what God had planned for you! I will and have been praying for a speedy approval. Maybe he will be home for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Not bother reading it? Yeah, right. Cried my way through it, tears of joy and excitement for you. Soaking up every little detail!!!

Michelle R Photography said...

Thanks for sharing all the details of "the call." I was laughing that Annslee was in the backseat saying, "Annslee done" when you are trying to take such an important call. That would so happen here, too. That is so cute that Annslee got the pictures out and was looking at them after you put them away. I am so excited for all of you!!!

Anonymous said...

I am still amazed everytime I think about those pictures that he has his fingers in his mouth like that. There could not be a bigger sign that he is your son!!! It just gives me chills to think about it. Funny how fast you can switch your thoughts around to a boy huh? I can't wait for the next steps in this journey (I was just thinking today about how we will get to follow your journey in Vietnam). I think about you guys all the time and I am constantly talking to Amelia about Coby and how Annslee has a little brother now too. I am so happy for you guys....and I love that I know you IRL and will get to play with Coby....lol

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like that experience in the whole world!

Lauren's Nana said...

I am glad that I got to be there when you saw his picture for the first time, I understand you still being stunned after all that you had been through at that point. He will be a very lucky little boy.
Take care

Dannye said...

what an amazing story....gave me goosebumps....how prepared are you clothes, etc. wise for Coby since you were waiting for a girl?? I'm sure you're having a ball shopping!!

this is such an amazing story Lala, we are so very excited for you and your family!!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Too Long...Never....I read every word!!

How excited you must be.....thanks for sharing the details!!

I can't wait to follow your journey!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Lisa

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh Laura I am still on cloud nine for you guys!!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping things move quickly and you get to travel before the end of the year! Congrats again!

my3 kids said...

Oh Laura I am still so happy that everything worked out. I am DYING to see sweet Coby. Feel free to send me a sneak peak if you like..lol. I liked reading about your referral day. What a beautiful family. Hugs from afar. Janice mommy to a vietnamese beauty and Chinese beauty as well as a bio son. Thanks for your prayers regarding Kira's heart testing. Thank God all worked out:)

Saint Louis Family Robinson said...

Well, of course I read the Whole Entry... twice!!! And will probably re-read it a few more times... As I said in an email, right now it seems we will be living our extended dreams through you - so you MUST post 'long and rambling' entries like this (not that I thought this was long and rambling... it was perfect!)

Also, I think it is so wonderful, since you weren't able to be with Mark, that you were with The D*s - a family who understands!!!!

asiangard said...

Maybe you will have your baby home before I do! I can tell he is a cutie...I'm trying to squint thought he fuzz! lol
Having a son is really amazing, and we all think we won't have enough love with our second, it's such a normal feeling, but trust me you will and you do, and I think you already know that.
So have you hit the mall yet? Gymboree has the cutest little pirate clothes outthis fall! lol

Michelle said...

Ohhh.. this was so great to read. We cannot even tell you how happy we are for you guys and we cannot wait to see your son in your arms!!!! Big HUGS!!!

Mamatini said...

A referral story is a referral story! Of course I'm going to read it!

And all those details, are the details you will tell over and over to him on his Referral Day. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Sue said...

Awww!!! Love to hear the details of your referral! Glad you have that precious photo of you and Annslee looking at Coby's photo together!

I think it would be cool if you are there in November and travel at the same time you did for A. Fingers crossed!

Keisha said...

Oh Girl.. it's not fuzzy enough for me to tell he's got some cute chubby cheeks that have LOADS of sugar just waiting to Fall off!

Man, Precious!!!

S. said...

Happy tears for you!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

I'm all choked up here reading your story. It's just beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it. I love that he had his fingers in his mouth and that was a sign for you! God is amazing like that! I can hardly wait to see an unfuzzy picture because even fuzzy he looks beautiful!!

~Lynn

Ange said...

Congratulations to your family! Wonderful news.

redmaryjanes said...

I am so excited for you guys! I cannot wait for you to have little Coby home.

Lisa L said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Congratulations! I can't wait to see him. How old is he? I read it but I was so excited I missed that part. You can call me for tips. I am a certified boy expert. LOL

missy said...

Sooo sweet! I love referral stories! I can tell how in love with Coby you are. That makes me smile, as I know how hard this wait has been.

I cannot wait to hold him and give Miss Annslee some smooches, too. I missed seeing you guys today, but had a photo shoot and Paige had dance.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm catching up on reading the blog, and you know how happy we are to have another grandchild, and a boy is special! (You would know that I would think so!) Look forward to hearing more as you know any more news! Love to you four! Gigi and GrandD

KrisJ said...

Isnt it always the unexpected way that ends up happening! I love the story of the way you got the call! Im dying to see a photo of him so I sure hope he hurries! I hope you get your approval quick. And I love that you caught little miss Annslee staring at his photo, what a sweet moment!

Sherry said...

OK now I'm crying over here. LOL! I know Coby will love reading this post when he's older. That would be really awesome if Annslee and Coby share the same "day". (Even though I hope you travel sooner:)

Special K said...

What a great story. Congrats on your new son!

Colleen said...

My favorite part of this story is Annslee in the backseat saying "all done," because that's what we heard yesterday a million times! (Misery loves company?)

Laura, I am just so happy I am for your family. A great story and a beautiful son!

Denise C said...

Are you kidding??? I read every single word, my friend!!! I am so deeply happy for your precious family....COBY is one very blessed little boy...as are all of you!!! You all are such a beautiful and precious family....and I cannot wait to see all 4 of you together!!!
Love you,
Denise

Sam said...

Thank you for sharing this special moment with us! Congrats to your whole family!!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful, Annslee seems to be a proud big sister! So happy for you all and wishing you speedy travels.

The Princess's Mommy said...

Ahhhh...what a sweet story! Congratulations on your boy! Boys are great (except when they grow up and join the Army and leave their mama...but you have plenty of time to worry about that!) Enjoy every single minute!

Monica

taylorchloejake said...

What a great story. I'm so glad you guys snuck in before the cut off. You will love having a son! And I love his name, Coby. :)

Here's my email.

Natski81504@yahoo.com

Can't wait to see the little guy! Annslee is gonna love him!

JoAnn in NJ said...

Congratulations on your son!

I've been following your blog for a while...I think our daughters have an uncanny resemblence!

So happy Ainslee is thrilled with her brother!

Football and Fried Rice said...

All right, we'll take the blurry pictures!!!! He's adorable, even blurry!!!

kitchu said...

I am so glad you shared this! Are you kidding? I hung on every word- this is the stuff I live for (you know, living vicariously through you!!)... congrats again! I hope he is home with you guys before the end of this year!!

Karey said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Here's to a quick approval and traveling soon! Sounds like Ainslee is going to make a great big sister!

 
Site Meter